US-Backed Gaza Aid Group Shuts Down Operations

A Palestinian woman pushes a cart with cardboard boxes through a Gaza street lined with makeshift stalls, highlighting the humanitarian crisis and aid shortages.

The Gaza Humanitarian Foundation (GHF)—a US- and Israel-supported aid initiative—has announced that it is shutting down its operations in Gaza after nearly six months of work. The group had already halted its three food distribution points about six weeks ago, following the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

The US and Israel created GHF as an alternative channel to deliver aid directly to Palestinians, operating outside the United Nations’ established system. However, UN officials and multiple humanitarian groups refused to participate, arguing that the model was unsafe, politically driven, and violated core humanitarian standards.

According to UN figures, Israeli gunfire killed hundreds of Palestinians in chaotic crowds near GHF distribution areas. Israel has maintained that soldiers fired only warning shots while trying to manage large, distressed crowds.

On Monday, GHF said its mission had concluded successfully, claiming it delivered three million aid packages—equivalent to more than 187 million meals—during its time in Gaza.

US Says GHF Model Influenced Ceasefire Talks

Jon Acree, the organization’s executive director, said the newly established US-led Civil-Military Coordination Center (CMCC)—a unit created to support President Donald Trump’s Gaza peace initiative—will now expand the system tested by GHF.

US State Department spokesperson Tommy Piggott posted on X that GHF’s approach, which he said prevented Hamas from intercepting aid, played a “major role” in pushing Hamas toward negotiations and ultimately securing a ceasefire.

Hamas, which denies taking control of aid shipments, welcomed GHF’s closure. A spokesperson, Hazem Qassem, said the group bears responsibility for the deaths and injuries of Palestinians who tried to reach its food distribution sites.

Operations Amid Famine and Blockade

GHF launched on 26 May, shortly after Israel loosened part of an 11-week blockade that had severely limited food, fuel, and commercial deliveries. By late August, Gaza City was declared to be in a state of famine.

The distribution centers—run by US private security contractors—were located inside Israeli military zones in central and southern Gaza. Humanitarian groups say this setup violated principles of neutrality and independence and placed hungry civilians at risk by directing them into militarized areas.

The UN Human Rights Office reported at least 859 Palestinians killed near GHF sites between 26 May and 31 July, with another 514 deaths recorded along routes used by UN and partner convoys. Most casualties were attributed to Israeli military fire.

Israel has disputed the UN’s assessment, saying soldiers only responded when individuals approached them “in a threatening manner.” GHF also rejected the UN’s figures, accusing the organization of relying on “inaccurate” statistics from Gaza’s health authorities.

Uncertain Future After Ceasefire

Experts expected GHF to scale back after the ceasefire, which aimed to launch the first phase of Trump’s peace roadmap. Under the deal, the UN, the Red Crescent, and other independent international agencies will manage future aid deliveries without involvement from Hamas or Israel.

UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric stated that the shutdown of GHF would not impact UN operations, noting, “We never worked with them.” He added that although more assistance has entered Gaza since the 10 October ceasefire, it remains insufficient for the territory’s 2.1 million residents.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *